Tuesday, January 11, 2011

WI1 Opening my eyes to Exploration


"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."
-Mark Twain

During my first day of Patrick’s class one of the first things that I learned about was myself. This was done through the Change style Indicator exercise that we did. During this activity I learned about the three different categories of designers, which are Strong Originators, True Pragmatists, and Strong Conservatives. The category that best described me was the strong conservative category. I found this true because im a very goal oriented person and often find myself setting out to accomplish my goals in a methodical order. However one of my goals as a designer is to look at things through the eyes of a non-designer when designing a space or object. If they can understand both the surface and the substance with in your design then it should be able to be understood by everyone. One of the weaknesses of the strong conservatives is the fact that it is hard for them to see “the big picture”, this is why I want to make it a point to take into consideration the views of both the designers and the non-designers. In looking at the Mark Twain quote I found that one of my goals, as a designer is to step out and learn things in a different manner other than just trying to reach my goal through a step-by-step methodical order. So in a sense this semester I want to try holding the cat by the ear, maybe the leg…or better yet the whiskers, the bottom line is that I really want to take this semester as a chance to explore and find my style of design and how to clearly convey it to both designers and non-designers.

No comments:

Post a Comment